Fire Causes Major Damage to Hollo Oval Home
Damage estimated at $50,000 after blaze starts behind fireplace
A Hollo Oval resident smelled smoke shortly before 3 a.m. Monday and was able to evacuate the house and call for help before the blaze got out of control.
Still the fire, which started near the fireplace, caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, Assistant Fire Chief Jack Draves said.
Draves said the residents at 13279 Hollo Oval had a fire in their fireplace around 3 p.m. and kept it going as they watched the Super Bowl.
They went to bed about 12:30 a.m. Just before 3 a.m., the homeowner said he smelled smoke and found a fire between the fireplace and the sandstone hearth.
He alerted his wife and called 911, then tried to attack the fire with a small extinguisher, but the blaze had made too much headway within the wall, ceiling and roof.
He, his wife and their dog were able to get outside safely.
The Strongsville Fire Department sent 14 firefighters from the four stations, arriving aat 3:05 a.m. to see visible flame coming from the outside of the house.
The cause of the fire is undetermined, but Draves said it may be related to the firebox.
Strongsville called for help from North Royalton and Berea, but assistance wasn't needed because the fire was under control by the time they arrived.
This was the second fireplace-related fire in Strongsville in a little over a week. On Jan. 26, a fire at a house on Heritage Trail also started after the family had a fireplace fire. That blaze caused $75,000 damage.