Investigators still do not know what sparked Wednesday afternoon.
Resident Kim Wasielewski and her daughter, Dana, 19, were home about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday when Dana spotted the fire in the detached garage and called 911.
The flames, which witnesses said grew taller than the garage, quickly spread to the back of the house.
Firefighters tried to get in the front of the home, but were driven back by the heat and smoke.
Neighbors reported hearing a popping noise, like firecrackers, then a girl screaming just before they saw the fire.
The family members got out safely and firefighters rescued a cat, which was taken to a veterinary hospital. One cat died in the fire and a third was missing as of last night.
Two Strongsville firefighters were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation or heat exhaustion.
Family members carried possessions out of the house last night. They were unable to stay in the home due to the damage.