Decorating Safety Tips from the Strongsville Fire Department

Here are suggestions to prevent fires this holiday season


The Strongsville Fire Department is urging residents to follow these state-approved safety tips when decorating for the holidays:

State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers said three aspects of decorating -- lighting, live Christmas trees and candles -- can lead to fires.

In fact, one-third of holiday fires are electrical failures, according to the National Fire Protection Association

For lights:

• Check for damage before putting up each strand.

• Only buy lights that are UL approved.

• Don't string too many strands together.

• Don't run extension cords under rugs.

• Never use outdoor lights indoors

• Turn all lights off when you leave or go to bed.

For trees:

• Get a fresh tree and keep it watered. Once it gets dry, throw it out. 

• One in five holiday fires start because a head source is too close to a Christmas tree.

• Don't block your escape route with a tree or presents.

For candles:

• Never leave a lit candle unattended, even for a minute.

• Don't place lit candles on or near a Christmas tree.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »