The board, which met in a two-hour closed-door session Saturday morning, released a statement saying the district will not exclude strike subs from working here.
"The board concluded that it was inappropriate to single out these substitutes," the statement says. "In addition, it was the consensus of the board that the letters to these substitute teachers, could be considered contrary to the spirit of the no reprisal clause in the board’s agreement with the SEA."
Earlier this week, Assistant Superintendent Cameron Ryba sent letters to the four strike substitutes who sought to sub here during the 2013-14 school year that they would not be utilized in Strongsville classrooms.
Ryba said it was in the "best interests" of the district "moving forward" from the strike.
Neither the school board nor Krupinski were aware of Ryba's action until contacted by Strongsville Patch, which learned of the move when a substitute who received the letter called Patch to ask for an investigation into the situation.
School Board President David Frazee, contacted by Strongsville Patch, said he disagreed with the decision and called the special meeting for Saturday morning to discuss the situation.
The School Board Saturday directed Superintendent John Krupinski to contact the subs who received the letters and welcome them back.
"Superintendent Krupinski will be directed to contact those substitutes and make it clear that they are welcome in our district, and invited to work as a substitute teacher as needed," the board's statement says.